Ultrasound for health and safety
Homepage -Jobs - Contact us - Directions
Company profile
A wide range of applications
Our team
Offer and services
How to reach us
Your contacts
Email contact form

Besançon history
Places to visit
transducers & probes for medical applications
transducers & probes for industrial applications
En français
Other langages

Few words about the history of Besançon

With its strategic location in a curve of the Doubs river (the "Boucle"), at the crossing of two major european traderoutes (southwestern Europe-Germany, northwestern Europe-Italy through Switzerland), Besançon, at all times in its history, has always been associated to the entire European community. The Celtic fortified town of Vesontio became with the Roman Empire the capital city of the Provincia Maxima Sequanorum, later known as the Free County of Burgundy during the Middle-Ages (approximately today's Franche-Comté. Since early medieval times, it has been the siege of a large archbishopric that contributed to the growth of the city through the centuries. Its close links with the Holy Roman Empire (it hosted an Imperial Council in 1157 and Emperor Friedrich Barbarossa married the heiress of the County) have made it a flourishing city. Emperor Rudolf of Habsburg eventually turned it into a Free City of the Empire in 1290 which led to a political separation from the County of Burgundy. During the 16th century, after a period of relative peace and economic growth, it provided the Empire with great diplomats such as Nicolas Perrenot de Granvelle and his son Antoine, confidents and ministers of Charles V and Philipp II, kings of Spain and Holy Roman Emperors, heirs of the title of Count of Burgundy. After several military attempts and memorable sieges, France annexed the city, along with Franche-Comté by the Treaty of Nijmegen in 1678. Since then, Besançn has been the capital city of Franche-Comté and has hosted the University, originally created in Dole by the duke of Burgundy Philipp the Good in 1423.

Close to the Swiss Confederation, Besançon and the entire region became a very important center for the French clockmaking industry as soon as the end of the 18th century, with the renowned "Horloges Comtoises". The watchmaking industry became in the middle of the 20th century an important employment sector in Besançon and Franche-Comté until the closing of LIP in the 70's, the biggest watchmaking company of Besançon. After a successful conversion to micromechanics and microtechnics, it is now a leading center for research in Time, Frequency and Optics, with many well-known laboratories and schools: ENSMM (National School for Mechanics and Microtechnics), LPMO (Laboratory of Physics and Metrology of Oscillators), LOPMD (Laboratory of Optics P.-M. Duffieux), LCEP (Laboratory of Chronometry, Electronics and Piezoelectricity), the Laboratory Time-Frequency (hosted by the Astronomical Observatory of Besançon, which was created in 1882 to support the growing local watchmaking industry). The old acquaintance of Besançon with Clocks and Time was recently formalised with the opening of the Musée du Temps (Museum of Time), located in the 16th century palace of the Granvelle family.

Today, Besançon is still considered as the French capital for clocks and watches, and many companies related to the watchmaking industry are still present in Besançon and the region. Hometown of Victor Hugo and the Lumièe brothers, the city is also renowned for its quality of life, with 590 acres (2400 ha.) of parks and forests for a total superficy of 1600 acres (6500 ha.) and 120,000 inhabitants. Its historical monuments (Roman Arena, Roman Triumphal Arch, Granvelle Palace, Quais Vauban, the Citadelle, the Astronomical Clock,...), its international events (International Music Festival, Foire Comtoise,...) and its various museums (Museum of Fine Arts and Archaeology, Museum of Time,...) have all contributed to the label of "Ville d'Art & d'Histoire" (City of Art and History) that was attributed to Besançon.

Special thanks to the French Society for Microtechnics and Chronometry for the content of this page

Top of this page
© 2002-2014 Imasonic SAS - IMASONIC is a protected trademark owned by IMASONIC SAS, France.
No use of this trademark or trade name of IMASONIC is permitted without prior written consent of IMASONIC SAS.